Thursday, September 17, 2015

September 2015 Birchbox

Birchbox is a monthly subscription box ($10 plus tax) of personalized beauty, grooming, and lifestyle deluxe sized samples tailored to your profile. You can accumulate points with each box and redeem those points at the Birchbox shop. If you review all your products in each monthly box, you can accumulate 50 points which is equivalent to $5 and half the value of the box.

The theme for this month's box is Better Together, in honor of Birchbox subscribers, and the box itself was inspired by mood boards designed by three subscribers.

100% Pure Organic Coffee Bean Caffeine Eye Cream
 
An organic eye cream is right along my alley BUT it has a powerful scent. It smells like hazelnut coffee with some fruity notes. I can smell the product through the tube and the scent lingers for a good 20 minutes or so. However the formula of the eye cream is nice with a lighter consistency and it absorbs quickly. It's a shame I can't get used to the scent because I need more travel sized eye creams that aren't in packets.

Harvey Prince Eau So Divine
 
Ugh, I generally don't like receiving fragrance samples in subscription boxes because they rarely contains a scent I like. You can request to receive fragrance no more than 6 times a year with Birchbox but there's no option for less than that. If I had it my way, I'd request for once, maybe twice a year. Anyway, I hate this perfume! It's strong, spicy, musky, and sort of masculine smelling in my opinion which is the complete opposite of what I look for in a fragrance. In the trash it goes.

Acure Organics Facial Cleansing Gel Superfruit + CGF
What's CGF you ask? It stands for Chlorella Growth Factor which is clinically proven to protect collagen and elastin fibers from enzymes that destroy them. (Koreans sell an instant ramen with the noodles made with chlorella so you can also eat it.) The cleansing gel smells refreshing, like an orange mixed in with a little grapefruit. I haven't used it yet but I've enjoyed Acure's Cleansing Gel with superfruit and chlorella for combo to oily skin in the past.

Amika Bombshell Blowout Spray
 
I've never used Amika products before so I'm excited to see what it can do for my hair. I've got flat, fine, thin, slightly wavy hair which can get frizzy at times. This blowout spray seems perfect for my hair type as it claims to "volumize and smooth for a sleek yet bouncy 'do." I'm going to Paris at the end of the month and I'm going to pack this in my travel bag.

POP Beauty Portfolio Eyeshadow in Sugar Plum
 
I wish there was a matte shade in the trio because the shadows have to much shimmer in them for my taste. The pigmentation is pretty good and the formula of the shadows are quite soft and creamy. There isn't too much fallout from them as well. I probably won't reach for the trio that often but it's a decent product.

FINAL THOUGHTS
I thought September's box was not bad but a little boring. The most exciting thing for me is the Amika Blowout Spray and the Harvey Prince perfume is a waste of space. I'd rather have received a packet sample of something I'd use. Since signing up for Birchbox I've been really happy with all my boxes so far. There were bound to be a few months where I wouldn't be completely satisfied. I plan on continuing with the subscription through the rest of the year. I've read some people have sheet masks in there boxes every month so it might be time to change up my profile. I might be able to switch up the types of products I receive every month.

Thanks for stopping by!
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment