Monday, December 28, 2015

My Top 5 Winter Lipsticks (Non-Drugstore)

Winter is the time for darker, bolder colors so I wanted to show you more of my current favorite lipsticks that are not from the drugstore.

CLIO Virgin Kiss Tension Lip in No. 8 Chu ($9.77 at Korea Depart)
I purchased Chu on a whim when Memebox had their amazing $5 sale. Yup, that's right, I got this for $5! Chu is a pinky cherry red with a semi-matte finish and very pigmented. The glossy finish does fade into a mostly matte finish after a few hours. All you need is one swipe of the lipstick for smooth and full coverage. It's long lasting as there is still noticeable color after drinking and eating a meal. One of the product claims is this has a lip plumping formula to keep lips voluminous and I agree that it does fill in lines while plumping up the appearance of your lips. If you have severely dry lips, you might want to apply lip balm underneath the product but this does cover flaky lips pretty well. There is a very light, fresh, floral fragrance which I like.

Memebox I'm Lip Crayon in #06 Bella ($9 at Memebox)
The lip crayons have been repackaged to a much slimmer and thinner packaging but I still like the crayon I have. I reviewed shades #1-#6 which you can read here. Bella appears to be a deep berry out of the tube but it's more like a bright purple with pink undertones. It's a beautiful color in my opinion! I don't find the lighter shades in the line to be all that moisturizing but Bella and #05 Chloe are creamy and decently hydrating. They feel great for the first few hours but my lips start to feel dry after that. Nothing that a lip balm can't take care of. There is no scent to the lip crayons.

Memebox I'm Lipstick in MT009 Jack Rose ($16 at Memebox)
Jack Rose is a bright plum/purple perfect for the fall and winter time. I have a review on Jack Rose and another shade which you can read here so I won't go into further detail about the lipstick.

Tarte Glamazon Pure Performance 12-Hour Lipstick in Fierce 
I hesitated to include the Tarte Glamazon lipsticks because I fear the line has been discontinued. I've sent an email to the brand to confirm if this is true. The product is normally priced at $26 but some of the shades have been on sale for $16 for most of the year. I was able to grab Fierce and Wild for $16. The only shade left on the Tarte website is Foxy (deep pink). Fierce is a bright orange red which isn't what I'd normally gravitate towards. The lipstick is creamy and buttery smooth and housed in a bamboo inspired tube. You can achieve an opaque finish but one swipe is somewhere between a matte and satin finish. The pigmentation is quite intense, similar to CLIO Chu. I would suggest exfoliating the lips beforehand but, once the lipstick is applied, it doesn't dry out or remove moisture from the lips. I wouldn't say you get 12 hours out of the lipstick but it is incredibly long wearing and will survive a meal. The color will stain your lips helping with the longevity but the lipstick fades evenly. This is a great lipstick and quite hydrating for a long wearing lipstick. Also, there's no scent to this which is an added bonus!

Tarte Glamazon Pure Performance 12-Hour Lipstick in Wild
I love, love, love this shade and have received many compliments with it! Wild is the perfect cool toned red and extremely flattering. If I'm able to track down the lipstick, I will definitely buy a backup. I'm half hoping the lipsticks will magically appear on the Tarte website in 2016. I wouldn't suggest the more neutral shades in the line since the formula works best with the bolder, more vibrant shades. There are complaints about the price of the lipstick since you only get 0.07 oz of product. Usually I would be hesitant to purchase a $26 lipstick but I truly love the shades Wild and Fierce. And the formula and quality with both shades are practically perfect in my opinion.
From left to right: Clio Chu, Memebox Bella, Memebox Jack Rose, Tarte Fierce, and Tarte Wild
So there you have it, my top 5 fall/winter lipsticks this year. What are some of your favorites?

Follow or like me on Twitter and Facebook for updates and it helps me out a lot!

Thanks for stopping by,
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment