Saturday, December 26, 2015

My Top 5 Winter Lipsticks (Drugstore)

I've been into darker lip colors this fall and winter which is rather unusual for me. There's something about a bold lip that can brighten up your complexion and dress up your look in an instant. Here are five of my favorite winter lip products from the drugstore.

e.l.f. Matte Lip Color in Berry Sorbet ($3)
I've reviewed the e.l.f. Lip Colors in the past which you can read here. Wine is also a great fall/winter shade but I've been wearing Berry Sorbet, a bright, pink berry shade, more frequently. The formula is creamy (with the exception of some of the lighter shades), pigmented, and gives a precise application with the pencil-like tip. I would exfoliate beforehand if you're suffering from particularly dry lips.

Maybelline Color Sensational Creamy Matte Lipstick in Divine Wine ($5.49-$7.99)
It took me a long time to get over the scent of the Creamy Matte Lipsticks which is why I've never talked about the line before. In general, I really dislike the smell of Maybelline lipsticks because they've got a plastic, chemical scent to them. However, the formula and shade selection is a different story. Divine Wine is a deep, dark burgundy and the darkest shade in the line. I wouldn't call this a true matte, since it has a satin finish. It has excellent pigmentation, does not tug on the lips, and applies smoothly to the lips. The shade is long wearing at around 5-6 hours and feels comfortable on the lips without feathering or sliding around. Now that I've gotten over the smell, Divine Wine and the next shade I'll talk about have been my go to shades this fall/winter.

Maybelline Color Sensational Creamy Matte Lipstick in Siren in Scarlet ($5.49-$7.99)
Siren in Scarlet is a blue based red which would look good on everyone while making teeth appear whiter. This shade has a semi-matte finish and does require exfoliation before application since it can acccentuate dry patches on the lips. Again, the pigmentation is excellent, doesn't dry out the lips, has good lasting power, and does not bleed or feather.

Revlon Matte Balm in 250 Standout ($5.49-$9.49)
I love everything about the Revlon Matte Balms! The main complaint I've seen about the line is the scent. Unlike the Maybelline lipsticks, I really enjoy the peppermint scent on the Matte Balms. I know there are many people out there who dislike peppermint scented products and this does have a fairly strong fragrance. If you can get past this, you're in luck. Standout is the perfect neutral red with a true matte finish. The formula is very moisturizing and wins out as the most moisturizing of the five products. It feels amazing from the beginning, middle, and end of wear time. The shade has great pigmentation and lasts around 4-5 hours. If you eat or drink, the wear time is a little less but not surprising as the product is extremely hydrating. You don't have to worry about feathering, flaking, fading unevenly, or patchiness during wear time.

Rimmel Lasting Finish by Kate Moss in 01 ($4.63-$5.49)
01 is a cherry red with a slight sheen which would probably look best on those with yellow undertones and lighter skin tones. It offers intense pigmentation and does not transfer easily after eating or drinking and leaves behind a rosy tint after the shade fades away. The formula is not moisturizing or drying; it's somewhere in between. If you have dry lips, it will definitely emphasize dry patches so make sure you apply a light lip balm beforehand. There is a sweet, slightly fruity scent which I'm on the neutral side about. The wear time is decent at around 3-4 hours. The biggest disadvantage to this lipstick is how it fades. It fades unevenly and leaves behind clumps on the lips so don't retouch over the clumps! Overall, the lipstick is a great value at the drugstore.
From left to right: e.l.f. Berry Sorbet, Maybelline Divine Wine, Siren in Scarlet, Revlon Standout, Rimmel 01
The quality of drugstore lipsticks is quite impressive these days and the deals and discounts you can find on them is even more impressive. Don't ever buy drugstore products at full price because there is ALWAYS a sale on each brand. I bought the Revlon Matte Balm at 40% off and the Rimmel Kate Moss lipsticks at 50% off (I think that sale will be coming up at Walgreen's in January from what I remember). E.l.f. always has some sort of sale and I bought the Lip Colors for 40% off. I clipped a coupon for Maybelline in the paper and then had a 20% off Bed Bath & Beyond coupon which I used at Harmon. So, if you're on a budget and looking to save some money, wait a bit for a deal to show up at the drugstore.

Follow or like me on Twitter and Facebook for updates and it helps me out a lot!

As always thanks for stopping by!
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment