Sunday, January 31, 2016

What's In My Medicine Cabinet

I don't know about you, but I always enjoy watching "what's in my shower" or "what's in my purse" videos from my favorite YouTubers. So, I though it might be somewhat interesting to show you what I keep in my medicine cabinet and also see what's been a part of my winter skincare routine. The cabinet's a little cluttered right now so I'm probably going to re-organize all four shelves when I get a chance.
Sorry about the lighting in the bathroom!
Here are the products from left to right on the very top shelf:
  1. Skin 79 Sweet Honey Sugar-I use this primarily on my elbows since it's a little too abrasive on my face. Smells great, like honey and brown sugar.
  2. Banila Co. Claypatra Mineral Salt Clay Pack-This is quite moisturizing for a clay pack and doesn't leave the skin feeling tight afterwards so it might be a good option for those with drier skin. I find it difficult to wash off and the scent is a little strong for me. Not a terrible mask but not my favorite.
  3. Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel Gream-I don't reach for the products on this shelf all that often except for the Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel Cream which I reviewed recently.
  4. Banila Co. Golden Aloe Soothing Gel Foam Cleanser-I used the cleanser last summer but haven't touched it since then. Smells just like aloe. I don't really like this so I'll move it into the shower to use as a body wash.
  5. Shara Shara Tempting Avocado Chocolate Massage Cream-When you have too many skincare products, some of them get lost in the shuffle and this was one of them. It expires next month but I've only had a chance to use it a few times. With my combination-oily skin in the winter time, it's not a product I need all that often. It does leave my skin soft and smells like chocolate cake but it doesn't do much else for me.
  6. Complete Multi-Purpose Solution (travel size)-As a contact lens wearer, it's always nice to have a travel sized contact solution on hand for travelling.
Products from left to right on the second shelf:
  1. Secret Key Lemon D-Toc Peeling Gel-Raved about this many times on here and it's a favorite in the K-beauty community. 
  2. Skintimate Signature Scents Moisturizing Shave Gel in Raspberry Rain-I've been using Skintimate shaving gels for almost 20 years now. It protects my legs from razor burn for the most part and keeps them soft. I love the variety of scents to choose from and Raspberry is one of my favorites.
  3. Diamond Cleaner-The cleaner came with my engagement ring so I use it to clean the ring and my wedding band. I almost forgot it was in there. I'm going to move it out of the bathroom to make space for something else.
  4. Stridex Maximum Strength Pads-I've talked about these pads before and it's become a must have product for me. I use them at night and it's helped to clear up my skin. You can use it twice a day but I haven't felt the need to incorporate it in my AM routine. Some people find them a little drying but I haven't had any issues with this
  5. Garnier Skin Active Micellar Cleansing Water-Garnier was kind enough to send me the waterproof (blue cap) version and the regular (pink cap) one. I'm planning on writing a review on these so I won't say anything more about them.
  6. Freeman Facial Clay Mask Avocado & Oatmeal-I use this mask all year round, more frequently in the summer. These days, I put it on my T-zone area when it's feeling really oily. I does a good job of cleaning out my pores and taking away grease. Not recommended for dry skin!
  7. Freeman Facial Enzyme Mask Pineapple-Truth be told I haven't used this in ages! The mask is very gentle with exfoliating AHA's in it. It smells delicious but I didn't notice any difference with my skin when using it. 
  8. Holika Holika Skin & AC Mild Sebum-X Mirror Cream-This is a great gel moisturizer for oily skin in the warmer months. I was using this off and on until January. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the strong scent. It's not a bad smell but it can be a bit overpowering for those who are sensitive to fragrances.
  9. Secret Key Snow White Milky Lotion-I was obsessed with this for a few months because it really does lighten and whiten your skin TEMPORARILY. I had my mom try this (she's about 3 shades darker than me) and it left her face looking abnormally ghostly. I wouldn't really recommend this for those with darker skin tones but it would work well for anyone with light-medium skin. It has a baby powder scent.
This is the most used shelf, products from left to right:
  1. Re:cipe Rose Petal Cleansing Oil-There are actual dried rose petals at the bottom of the cleansing oil and it smells like real roses. This is one of the few floral scented products I genuinely like. It does a great job as a first cleanser and removing makeup. I might purchase the green tea one at some point.
  2. Herb Cleansing Oil Gel-At first I wasn't sure what to think of this because I thought the balm like texture was weird. It's called an oil gel but it's a pretty thick balm. This is my second bottle and I rotate between this and the Re:cipe one depending on my mood. It's got a unique scent, the smell you get after blowing out candles.
  3. Michael Todd Charcoal Detox Deep Pore Gel Cleanser-This is one of my favorite second cleansers! Sometimes I use it in the AM but it's primarily a PM cleanser. It's very cooling on the face and leaves my face feeling very clean without stripping away moisture. 
  4. Goodal Phytoshine Acaiberry Brightening Toner-I don't usually drop products but there was something about the cap on this toner. I can't even count the number of times I dropped it and it broke into little pieces leading to a sad death. I'm almost finished with it and I've seen minor brightening effects. It has a light fruity scent.
  5. La Roche-Posay Serozinc-I already mentioned this a few times but this toner mist has been a disappointing product. I'm not sure why it's gotten so many rave reviews. It hasn't purified or soothed or made any difference on my skin or acne.
  6. Neutrogena Body Clear Body Spray-I tend to get bacne more often in the summer but I do use this all year round. Most of my bacne is triggered by sweating from working out and I'll break out in places on or around my sports bra. The product lasts forever, is very affordable, and is effective in battling body acne. The pump starts to fail as you get towards the end of the product so you'll have to scrape it out.
  7. LJH Tea Tree 90 Essence-Again, another highly raved about but disappointing product for me. Just goes to show you how differently our skin reacts to products. It's made no difference to my skin but it hasn't irritated it either. The essence is taking me forever to finish because I often use the left over essence in sheet masks the next day.
  8. Missha Time Revolution Night Repair Science Activator Ampoule-I just started using this, a total of 3 times. I like the luxurious looking purple bottle and the glass dropper. I can't really say anything definitive about the product yet since I haven't used it enough.
  9. Acure Seriously Firming Facial Serum-Another recent addition to my skincare routine. The ingredients list consists of various oils so it's a bit thick for my skin in the AM. I definitely won't use this in the warmer months but it works as a winter PM serum for me. So far, I find it seriously hydrating but it's a little early to say anything about the claims for reducing fine lines, imperfections, and fading scars.
  10. Rappol Calming Cream-I moved this cream into my rotation when I noticed the expiration date, 3/26/2016. There's no way I'll come close to finishing it before then but I'm giving it my best shot. This is a heavier cream so it's a PM moisturizer. It hasn't triggered any acne breakouts and really moisturizes the skin. This smells herbal, similar to the Grinif Jojoba Oil which you'll see down below.
  11. Garnier Skin Active Clearly Brighter Brightening & Smoothing Daily Moisturizer-Garnier sent me this product along with the cleansing waters. It has SPF 15 and is a chemical sunscreen. I've made it a habit to try to use physical sunscreens these days but I only wear the moisturizer for a limited amount of time. I only use this in the AM before I go to the gym. It's off my face in the shower within an hour or two. It has a clean, fresh scent but it's a little strong in my opinion.
  12. Mise En Scene Perfect Repair Serum-I just got my hair cut so there's not as much of a need for this anymore. It's still long but my hair was the longest it had ever been before I got it cut, way past my bra band. My hair was starting to get really dry at the ends because I hadn't cut it in almost 9 months, plus it had been colored. The serum helped make the ends look healthy and smooth so I'd highly recommend this for anyone with dry, damaged, curly hair, or anyone that does frequent heat styling. It kind of smells like baby powder.
Are you still with me? Props to you if you've read this far!
This last shelf is super disorganized because it's got some half used samples and a random assortment of products. Ignore the plastic storage container for now and I'll start from where I've drawn the arrow.
Aveeno Skin Relief Gentle Scent Lotion-Good moisturizer for travel but stay away if you don't like coconut scents. The front of the bottle states "as gentle as fragrance free" which cracks me up because it's pretty heavily scented.
Grinif Rawganic Jojoba Golden Oil-I'll use this in place of a nightly moisturizer when my acne starts to flare up. It takes a little longer to absorb into the skin but it calms down my skin if it's acting up. It has an organic smell to it, if that makes any sense, which I really like.
Contact Lens Case-don't think this needs any explanation.
Acure Facial Cleansing Gel Superfruit + Chlorella Growth Factor-This is for combo to oily skin and has a citrus scent. I don't like it enough to buy a full size but it's not bad.
Complete Multi-Purpose Solution
Rodan + Fields Unblemish Oil Control Lotion-I've only had a chance to use this once when I was out of town but it's a physical sunscreen. I have the complete Unblemish line which I want to review at some point. Too many products, not enough faces!
Belif The True Cream Aqua Bomb-Somehow I've collected 5 of these sample sized jars from Sephora. I don't think it's worth $38 for the full size but it's a decent gel moisturizer if you have combo/oily skin. I dislike the scent, reminds me of the scent of Clorox wipes.
Vasanti BrightenUp! Enzymatic Face Rejuvenator-I used this regularly when I first received it from Birchbox. I've cut out physical exfoliants on my face because it irritates my face. I'm a little afraid to add them back into my routine so I'm not sure if I'll use the rest of this.
Bioderma Crealine H2O Micelle Solution-If I use cleansing water to cleanse my face in the morning it leaves my skin greasy within a few hours. So, I use it on gym days in conjunction with the Garnier moisturizer. I get up in the morning, swipe Bioderma over my face with a cotton pad, apply moisturizer, and I'm good to go. It saves me the hassle of washing my face when I just want to get to the gym. And it's not good to wash your face three times a day, even if it's on the oily side.
I need to throw away this container since it's accumulating unnecessary clutter. I've also had it for 15 years which is ridiculous. There's some spatulas, tweezers, toothbrush holders, floss and empty travel sized jars which I don't need to list below.
Esthetic House Vita 3000 Vita C Vita-Capsule Cream-I use this more as a spot treatment to attempt to fade PIH. It probably works best on minor discoloration and brightens the skin. The texture is a little sticky and it's got a citrus scent.
Sulhwasoo CC Emultion Complete Care-This is close to its expiration date but I'm almost done with it. It's got the typical Sulhwasoo herbal scent and offers decent coverage. I only used the CC at the gym, partly because it emphasizes my already large pores too much.
I.Myss Natural Toc Face Tuning Tea Tree Eye Cream-I'm not in love with this eye cream but I don't hate it either. It has a whipped consistency but it doesn't sink into the eye area right away. At the same time, it's not thick so I'm not sure why it doesn't absorb well. I don't have a dry eye area so this does the job.
Neutrogena On-The-Spot Acne Treatment-This always shows up in a product empties post so I don't need to go into detail about my preferred spot treatment.
e.l.f. Lip Exfoliator-The brand has added two other flavors but I have the original one. This is convenient to use since it's in a tube and lipstick form. Some people find the product too harsh but I love how well it exfoliates my lips.
Sephora Makeup Brush Shampoo-I've only used the Sephora brush cleansers so I can't really compare it to other brands. The shampoo cleans my brushes well and it's an anti-bacterial formula.
Dear Clark Thickening Balm-I haven't noticed any thickening effects on my hair but it is a good heat protectant and adds some shine to the hair. It smells like Aveda hair products.
Beauty Protector Protect & Oil-I like that one of the product claims is UV protection for your hair. It doesn't leave my fine, thin hair greasy, smoothes out the hair, and works as a heat protectant. It has a vanilla scent.
Juice Beauty Blemish Clearing Cleanser & Oil Free Moisturizer-These are sample packets which also came with a serum I've already used and liked. I've never tried the cleanser or moisturizer so I can't say anything about them.
Innisfree Green Tea Balancing Skin-A solid toner from what I've seen so far but it's heavily fragranced, a combination of a floral and herbal scent.
Goodal Waterest First Essence-This was from my latest Birchbox so I've only used it twice. I like how light it is and it has a light herbal scent. This essence and the toner I mentioned above have me curious about the rest of Goodal skincare products.

So that's everything in my medicine cabinet, although I should probably call it a beauty cabinet. I realize it's an overflow of products but, believe it or not, I use the majority of it. What do you keep in your medicine cabinet?

Follow or like me on Twitter and Facebook for updates. It also helps me out a lot!

Thanks for stopping by,
Jenn


No comments:

Post a Comment