Saturday, February 13, 2016

Burt's Bees Lipstick Review

I'm trying to make an effort to be selective about the lip products I purchase since I have more than I'll ever need and use. Clearly I'm not making enough of an effort because I couldn't resist the fairly recently launched Burt's Bees Lipsticks. I have been more attracted to the brand lately because I want to incorporate more natural/organic skincare and makeup into my routine.
Here are the claims according to the brands website:
100% natural
8 hour moisture
Smooth, satin finish with a creamy and lightweight feel, ideal for everyday wear
Helps to hydrate and moisturize lips leaving them feeling soft and smooth

Available in 14 full coverage and vibrant shades:
#500 Nile Nude
#501 Blush Basin
#502 Suede Splash
#510 Iced Iris
#511 Magenta Rush
#512 Fuchsia Flood
#514 Brimming Berry
#515 Tulip Tide
#520 Scarlet Soaked-purchased (red with coral undertone)
#521 Ruby Ripple-purchased (medium dark red shade, makes teeth look white)
#523 Sunset Cruise-purchased (medium coral shade)
#530 Lily Lake
#531 Juniper Water
#532 Russet River-purchased (dark brownish red shade)
Ingredients: Diheptyl Succinate, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Capryloyl Glycerin/Sebacic Acid Copolymer, Cera Alba [Beeswax], Candelilla Cera [Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax], Behenyl Alcohol, Oleic/Linoleic/Linolenic Polyglycerides, C12-18 Acid Triglyceride, Lanolin, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Cera Carnauba [Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax], Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Moringa Oleifera Seed Oil, Rubus Idaeus (Raspberry) Seed

You can purchase the lipsticks at Ulta for $8.99, Target for $8.99, or directly from the Burt's Bees site for $9. I chose Amazon with Prime to purchase all four shades because I had a gift card. I also have not been able to locate them in a physical store so online shopping was the best option.

The packaging is recyclable and made with 100% #5 plastic and 60% PCR (post consumer recycled plastic) content. In general plastic products marked with the numbers 2, 4, and 5 are the safer choices. I'm big into recycling so this is a major plus for me. There is a honeycomb design on all four sides of the lipstick tube which is durable yet lightweight. You get 0.12 oz of product in each lipstick. The only thing I don't like about the packaging is that you can't twist the lipstick all the way down the tube. If you're short on a time I could easily see the tip of the lipstick getting chopped off when replacing the lid. It's not a big deal but I do find myself being extra careful when putting the lid back on.
From left to right: Scarlet Soaked, Ruby Ripple, Sunset Cruise, and Russet River
There is barely a scent but I do catch a very subtle waxy, berry scent if you hold the product right up to your nose. The lipstick feels more like a lip balm but with excellent pigmentation. They are incredibly moisturizing and perfect for the winter or if you suffer from chronic chapped lips. There's a slightly thicker, slippery texture about these but they feel lightweight on the lips.
From left to right: Scarlet Soaked, Ruby Ripple, Sunset Cruise, and Russet River
The range of shades are excellent from nudes to pinks to reds to plums. The darker colors leave a nice stain after the initial color has worn off. These aren't a long lasting lipstick since they are so hydrating and creamy. You'll get around 4-5 hours of wear time if you don't eat or drink anything and maybe 3 hours if you do. You don't have to worry about the product creasing, clumping, or transferring all over your teeth. It's not necessary to wear a lip liner with the darker shades but it might be your preference if you prefer clean edges around the lips. The color is very buildable so you can build up quite a bit of color. All four shades I purchased have a satin finish but some are more shiny than others.

I love the formula of these Burt's Bees Lipsticks! After testing out all four lipsticks for the past three weeks I really want to purchase a few more shades. They're easy to apply and wear on the go every day and also work appropriate. I love how comfortable they feel on the lips and they feel more like a chapstick or lip treatment than a lipstick. I'm not sure how traditional lipstick lovers are going to feel about the formula but I love how these look and feel on the lips, especially in the colder months.

Follow or like me on Twitter and Facebook for updates. It also helps me out a lot!

Thanks for stopping by,
Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment