Thursday, May 26, 2016

May 2016 Birchbox

Birchbox is a monthly subscription box ($10 plus tax) of personalized beauty, grooming, and lifestyle deluxe sized samples tailored to your profile. You can accumulate points with each box and redeem those points at the Birchbox shop. If you review all your products in each monthly box, you can accumulate 50 points which is equivalent to $5 and half the value of the box.

The theme for May's box is all things outdoors with products and tips to stay radiant. Each box contains sun protection and the box design is inspired by a partnership with Keds.

I chose to go with the sample choice (choose one sample from the list and have Birchbox curate the other four) instead of the featured box.
Sample Choices:
Supergoop! Sun Defying Sunscreen Oil with Meadowfoam SPF 50
Real Chemistry Luminous 3-Minute Peel for Body
Vita Liberata Fabulous Self Tanning Gradual Lotion
Coola Classic Sport Face SPF 50 White Tea

"Naturally Radiant" Featured Box
Clean Blossom Eau de Parfum
Davines Love Smoothing Shampoo
Coola SPF 30 Organic Makeup Setting Spray
ModelCo Lip Laquer in Creme Brulee
Benefit Hoola Matte Bronzer

Beauty Protector Protect & Detangle ($23.50)
I've used this a few times already since receiving it. I like how it doesn't weigh my fine hair down, protects against UV rays and heat, is paraben and sulfate free, and adds shine but...I can't stand the scent. It's quite strong and I can smell it from a distance. The Beauty Protector Protect & Oil has the same vanilla scent. Again, it's a good hair product but I wish the products wouldn't have such a strong vanilla scent!

Vera Bradley Fragrances in Appleberry Champagne ($48)
Ugh, perfume samples! I really dislike receiving them because it's extremely rare for me to like the scent. Part of the reason I didn't go with the featured box is because of the Clean Blossom sample. I was hoping to avoid perfume. You can request in your Birchbox profile to receive the minimum amount of perfume samples a year which I have done. When I saw all the fruity notes (green apple, strawberry and combination of champagne) in the Vera Bradley perfume, I thought this might be a hit for me. No such luck, the cedar wood and fruity notes are not a good combination in my opinion. I also have been avoiding the use of perfumes throughout my pregnancy so I'll probably toss the sample.

Coola Classic Face Sport SPF 50 White Tea ($32)
I used a sample of the Coola Cucumber sunscreen in the past and was pleasantly surprised by it. I'm guessing the White Tea will be just as good and I do like the scent. It's formulated for sensitive skin without causing breakouts or irritation. I've read reviews of people complaining about the product pilling up on them when layered underneath a primer or makeup. I didn't have this problem with the Cucumber one so fingers crossed I don't experience any pilling.

Eyeko Skinny Liquid Eyeliner ($16)
This has a pen style applicator to help you control the thickness and intensity of the liner and claims to have a fade proof formula. I tend to stay away from liquid eyeliners and rely on pencil liners. The only liquid I've used is the e.l.f. one and I haven't reached for it in a long time. I'm a big fan of the Memebox eyeliners since they're quick to apply and smudge proof on me. I swatched the Eyeko liner on my hand and it is budge proof. No amount of rubbing caused the liner to move and I had to take it off with an oil cleanser. In any case, I'll stick with pencil liners and give this one away.

Juara Radiance Enzyme Scrub ($38)
This is a natural, gentle exfoliator that doubles as an enzyme mask. It smells amazing, like a combination of various fruits. However, I've been avoiding physical scrubs so I'll probably just use this on my elbows or heels. The beads did seem really fine and gentle when I tested it out on my hand but I still prefer to stay away from scrubs.

FINAL THOUGHTS
I wasn't too thrilled with this box and the past two months have been kind of lackluster as well. However, Birchbox is still a great subscription program because you get half of the value of the box back in points when you write your reviews. I'm waiting for the big Thanksgiving promotion to cash out on all my points and purchase items on my wishlist. That's six more months to add products to my cart and edit to my desire before I make a decision.
The spoilers are already up on the site for June's sample choice and featured box so don't forget to make your choices by May 31.

Follow or like me on Twitter and Facebook for updates. It helps me out a lot!

Thanks for stopping by,
Jennifer


No comments:

Post a Comment