Wednesday, May 4, 2016

April 2016 Favorites

It's been so long since I've blogged that I've forgotten HOW to blog. Hopefully I'll get back into the swing of things and post consistently. No promises but I'll try my best!

I haven't been wearing makeup all that often this month and my skincare routine has been relatively simple.

THE BEAUTY CROP PBJ Smoothie Stick ($14.95 at Birchbox)
This stick is flavored like a smoothie, almond butter and goji berry, and it boasts of a soft, sweet tint and hydrating ingredients that will make your lips do flips.
I wouldn't say my lips are doing flips but I do love the berry color this provides. The funny thing is I'm not crazy about the scent, similar to the Neutrogena Moisture Smooth Color Sticks, or the taste. But the color payoff is worth it and the stick feels quite comfortable on the lips. It's not the most moisturizing formula but it does offer some hydration if your lips are properly prepped beforehand. The wear time is around three hours and you're left with a nice stain after the color has faded.

MICHAEL TODD Kaolin Clay Detoxifying Facial Mask ($34 at Ulta and Michael Todd)
A pore clearing detoxifying treatment mask formulated to lift deep set impurities, calm inflammation, balance oil production and neutralize bacteria. Formulated without parabens, sulfates, artificial dyes, synthetic fragrance, artificial dyes, triclosan, mineral oil, and phthalates.
Pregnancy has changed my skin a little (I'm having twins!) and my skin has been more on the combination side rather than straight up oily, yay! I also have not been breaking out nearly as much which has been really nice. However, I still struggle with large pores and huge blackheads on my nose. This mask has been great in clearing out gunk and purging out pores. There is a slight tingling for the first few minutes after application and the best way to describe the scent is earthy. It's not the best smell but it's certainly tolerable given the results. I highly recommend this mask if you have combination to oily, acne prone skin. For me, I don't find the mask drying at all but it's targeted for my specific skin type. I use it twice a week and will increase to three times a week in the warmer months. The packaging has changed since I purchased the mask. It's now available in a tube rather than a pump bottle.

LEADERS UV Moist Sun Gel ($32.50 in a set with a sample sized CC cream)
I think this has been discontinued because I can't find it sold anymore. The US Leaders site does have a Perfection Aqua Sun line that consists of a sun block, liquid, and spray. I imagine those are just as good as the Moist Sun Gel but I can't say for sure. I've been using this sun gel since March and it hasn't caused any breakouts and has the texture of a lotion. It does have a scent but it's very mild and hasn't caused any nausea for me.

NEUTROGENA Hydro Boost Gel Cream ($19.99 at Ulta or $17.99 at Target)
A fragrance-free, lightweight gel-cream that instantly quenches and continuously hydrates skin. Formulated with hyaluronic acid, it boosts hydration and locks it in so skin stays hydrated, smooth and supple day after day. Applies effortlessly, absorbing quickly into skin without leaving behind an oily or greasy feel.
I reviewed this here at the end of January. This gel cream has been a favorite throughout my pregnancy so far because it does not have a fragrance and provides enough moisture to leave my skin grease free. The product is targeted for extra dry skin which I don't agree with unless you top it off with a facial oil or sleeping pack. As I stated in my review, this is for adding and locking in moisture and doesn't claim to do anything else like anti-aging or brightening. I've already purchased the Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel as we head into summer because the gel cream will be a bit too heavy for me.

BARE MINERALS Mineral Veil ($22 at Sephora)
Completely sheer and ideal for all skintones, this gently absorbs oil and minimizes the appearance of lines and pores without the buildup of loose or pressed powders that contain parabens, waxes, dyes and binders.
There are 4 varieties of the Mineral Veil: Illuminating (a luminous finish), Tinted (a hint of warmth, Hydrating (a hydrating finish), and the original Mineral Veil which is the one I use. I'd forgotten how much I loved this powder and Bare Mineral products in general. I used the brand quite a bit in my early thirties and for whatever reason decided to move on to other brands. The Mineral Veil is great for setting makeup and keeping shine away from my face. I also like that it's completely sheer and doesn't contain parabens, sulfates, or phthalates.

DAYEONG XO Black Stick Foundation (25,000 won at Tester Korea)
This is no longer sold at Memebox so I'll be turning to Tester when I run out of the stick foundation. I have both shades, #21 and #23. The foundation is incredibly creamy and melts into the skin beautifully, plus it's really easy to apply with your fingers or with my favorite brush, the REAL TECHNIQUES Expert Face Brush ($8.99 at Ulta). I have to set it with a powder or else it slides around on my oily areas. It provides a nice medium coverage with a natural look. This is more a fall/winter foundation for me because it will melt right off in humid weather or whenever I sweat. Read my review here from last year to find out more about the foundation.

I'm trying to snack a little healthier and avoid things like chips and cookies. Enter TRADER JOE'S Gluten Free Granola (loaded fruit & nut) for $3.49 paired with their Greek Yogurt with Honey. 
I've been obsessed with the combination ever since I tasted the two at the TJ sample counter. Corn is used instead of wheat and oats and there's a mix of grain and seed clusters, dried fruits like raisins, cranberries, and apricots and nuts like hazelnuts, walnuts, and pecans. There's also another flavor variety, cranberry maple nut, which is excellent as well. I've always purchased non-fat greek yogurt and the honey flavor is made from whole milk. I'm supposed to increase my calorie intake with twins so I figure a healthy way to do that is to go the whole milk route. In any case, it makes a difference with the taste and texture because it's super creamy and tasty. I'm not so crazy about the 24 grams of sugar in the yogurt but I don't eat all 8 oz in one sitting. I eat this as a mid morning snack almost every day so that's saying something.

So, those are my April favorites.
Excuse my blogging rustiness after a long hiatus away. I'm so backed up on reviews that I don't know where to start! But, I'm determined to get them up once I find my rhythm. An empties post will most likely be next because I've got a ton of trash accumulating in my handy Lululemon bag.
It's so nice to be back and thanks to all of you who took the time to stop by here!

Follow or like me on Twitter and Facebook for updates. It helps me out a lot!

Jennifer




2 comments:

  1. Some cool things you picked up there! :) I love the mineral veil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Connu! I can't believe I ever stopped using the BM Mineral Veil.

      Delete